Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Week 6
The person who I decided to shadow was my mentor. The reason why I decided to shadow this person was because they have the most responsibility at the company and have control over all the day to day operations. When I get to work, my boss has already been there for at least an hour working away. Before I arrive, my mentor has all of the resisters ready for the day, a list of things that needs to be done for the day and is ready to put us to work. Over the few days that I shadowed my mentor, they were in charge of scheduling furniture pickups from consigners and made sure that the trailer was ready for moving. On most pickups, my mentor went along to inspect potential items and decided on which pieces would be taken for resale. They also gave us instructions on how to tend furniture items that needed attention before we sold them and decided how to present each piece in a way that would be pleasing to consumers. My mentor also dealt with consigners who brought items to the store. Looking through and deciding on which items will sell and which items to pass on. They also deal directly with these costumers, explaining how the store works and the procedures that go along with consigning at the store. The store that I am working for is also currently looking into expanding, so I was able to watch my mentor search for different locations and think of different strategies for expansion. Over the few days I shadowed, I was able to witness the purchase of another store next to my place of work that they are going to incorporate into the store. My mentor had to figure out the best way to combine the stores through making layouts that showed how each restructuring would benefit the store. At the end of each day, my boss handles all the money and views reports to see how that day went. By viewing these reports, my mentor sees how the store is doing compared to the months before and can find trends that might effect the business. I feel lucky that I was able to witness the expansion process and cant wait to see how everything turns out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment