Thursday, July 22, 2010
week 7
I actually really enjoyed about thinking about different improvements that could be made to the store. It gave me a chance to think about what I might do differently if I was the person in power. When thinking about ways to improve, I found myself thinking about things that other, bigger retail stores already incorporate into their business. One big thing that our store has a problem with is theft. We already take some measures to reduce the amount of theft in the store, but there are other things that we can do to help. The biggest place that I feel that costumers are hiding away clothes is in the dressing rooms. Right now we don't have any system that allows us to know what is being brought into the rooms. I think that it would be in the our best interest to start making the costumers check in with an employee to show how many items are being brought in as well as checking the number of items on the way out. Many clothing stores do this to prevent theft but I also understand that this is more difficult with a small business. We have less resources as a larger company and cannot devote one person to just watch the dressing rooms. Something that should work in our case would be to move the register close to the dressing rooms so that the person working the front desk can also run the dressing rooms. Another problem that we run into at the store is people purchasing big furniture items for pickup at a later date and then don't come for pickup until a week or sometimes later. This creates a problem in that once an item is sold, it has no value to us on the selling floor. We end up moving these pieces into a storage unit that runs out of room quickly when there are multiple pieces for pick up. As of now we do not charge for the use of this storage unit and I believe that this could help. If we charged for storage after an initial allotted amount of time, this would allow for a couple of things to happen. First, most people don't want to spend extra money if they don't have to so more people would be inclined to pick up furniture more quickly. Second, if consumers do have to use our storage, we will make money off of them to pay for a larger or second unit for storage. We wouldn't have to worry about when someone will be picking up their furniture anymore. These were just a couple of ideas that I had that I would most likely implement if I was the one in charge.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment